Every year at the annual Charles River Rugby awards celebration and banquet, we recognize outstanding players for their contributions on and off the rugby pitch.
- THE DENNIS J. SULLIVAN AWARDThe Dennis J. Sullivan award shall be presented to the player who most embodies the qualities of hard play, fairness, leadership, and dedication to the Club and the game demonstrated by the late Dennis Sullivan. More than any other player in the Club’s history Dennis Sullivan exemplified the true spirit of Charles River Rugby. An intense and dedicated player on the field, Sully was also a team player off the field. His personality, his love of the game, and spirit are lasting memories for those who played beside him and should serve as an inspiration for all Club members. The Dennis J. Sullivan Award was inaugurated at the 1982 Awards Banquet to recognize the player who best exemplifies the qualities exhibited by the late Dennis Sullivan: team spirit, dedication, and love of the sport.Teammate Testimony regarding Dennis Sullivan:
“Dennis Sullivan was a model for Charles River Rugby. He played #8 with skill, desire and toughness at a time when the Rats were a new team at the very beginning of our push into first-division play. Dennis was an absolute leader in every respect, utterly fearless and eager to mix it up and triumph against the big boys of New England rugby. His commitment to rugby and the Rats was absolute. He once left in the middle of a wedding reception, played the A game, washed off in a puddle, threw the tux back on and zipped back to the reception–his spouse was not overjoyed but here was a rugger who had his priorities arranged properly. He was at the beginning of his legal career and had a new baby when a tragic accident took him away. The reason this award is named for him is not just because of the ways we lost him, but really because his toughness, commitment and passion for the game epitomizes what the Charles River Rats are all about.”
- MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AWARDInaugurated in 1985, this award goes to the player who has proved to be the most valuable player to the Club on the pitch.
- MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARDThis award, inaugurated in 1982, is awarded to the player who’s play, in the opinion of the Club, has improved the most during the preceding year. Consideration should be given to all players who strive for excellence, and voters should give consideration to the effort as well as the accomplishments of the player.
- OLD MAN RIVER AWARDThis award inaugurated in 1985, is presented to the River Rat OLD BOY who has made the greatest contribution to the Club in the preceding year.
- ORANGE WHIP AWARDThe Orange Whip award, inaugurated in 2005, is presented to B-side player who exhibited the most devotion and enthusiasm on and off the pitch.
- Award Recipients by Year
The Dennis J. Sullivan Award – 2017 Recipient: Corey Lang
Most Valuable Player – 2017 Recipient: Zack Mehuren
Most Improved Player Award – 2017 Recipient: Nick Prieston
Old Man River Award – 2017 Recipient: Dave McVey
Orange Whip – 2017 Recipient: Jake Cox
The Dennis J. Sullivan Award – 2016 Recipient: Ellis Patrick
Most Valuable Player – 2016 Recipient: Tom Murray
Most Improved Player Award – 2016 Recipient: Mitchell Sopp
Old Man River Award – 2016 Recipient: Mark McCabe
Orange Whip – 2016 Recipient: Nick Prieston
The Dennis J. Sullivan Award – 2012 Recipient: Richard Friberg
Most Valuable Player – 2012 Recipient: Jerry Kenneally
Most Improved Player Award – 2012 Recipient: Wes Page
Old Man River Award – 2012 Recipient: Stuart Dunster
Orange Whip – 2012 Recipient: Alex ‘Ox’ Tolivaisa
The Dennis J. Sullivan Award – 2011 Recipient: Adam Catarius
Most Valuable Player – 2011 Recipient: Ricky Friberg
Most Improved Player Award – 2011 Recipient: Nate Dias
Old Man River Award – 2011 Recipient: Mike Fair
Orange Whip – 2011 Recipient: Nate Dias
The Dennis J. Sullivan Award – 2010 Recipient: Dave McVey
Most Valuable Player – 2010 Recipient: Adam Catarius
Most Improved Player Award – 2010 Recipient: Wes Page
Old Man River Award – 2010 Recipient: Charles Mbaya
Orange Whip – 2010 Recipient: Wes Page